For Spring 2019-20, all domestic graduate students at Clemson University enrolled in 9 or more credit hours on the main campus at Clemson University, graduate students with graduate assistantships, and international students will be required to show proof of health insurance as a condition of enrollment. Students must either enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or waive the plan by showing proof of their own health insurance.
Students enrolled at Clemson University that wish to opt-out of the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) must submit alternate coverage information through the AcademicHealth Plans Waiver System. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet the requirements listed below and be submitted with proof documentation prior to the January 31, 2020 deadline.
Please review these prior to submitting your waiver request.
Student must be enrolled in a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
A. The alternative coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- . Provide the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits. A list of the Essential Minimum Benefits can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits/
- . Contain no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA. A list of these preventive services can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits/.
B. In addition, International Students:
- Annual deductible of no more than $500.
- Proof of Repatriation and medical evacuation expenses in the combined amount of no less than $100,000. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
NOTE: The following plan(s) will NOT be acceptable for waiver approval:
- Healthcare Sharing Plans are not accepted.
- Short-term coverage plans are not accepted.
- Financial Assistance plans are not accepted.
- Travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement are not accepted.
Domestic Students Only: Select the appropriate link below to submit your waiver request or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan:
DOMESTIC GRADUATE STUDENTS CLICK HERE
International Students Only: Select the link below to submit your waiver request or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan:
INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS CLICK HERE
INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE STUDENTS CLICK HERE